Friday 9 August 2013

small scrimshaw test piece


I thought I'd do a tiny test piece for one of my scrimshaw embroideries I have planned. I stitched this using sewing rather than embroidery thread - it's only small, the whale is the length of my thumb. I think the embroidery works well. I think I will make the tea staining more textured when I work this up bigger. I may even paint on additional levels of tea stain to make the tooth background more dimensional. 
This piece is appliqued onto a blue cotton I think canvas or the reverse of some denim might look better. Or perhaps even a bright white background... I have some more playing to do :)

6 comments:

  1. Fab. Love it. You are right about the background needing more texture, have fun experimenting with the tea staining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you x Tea staining is ace isn't it? I want to use it to add shading to the tooth/tusk so it looks more dimensional- I think I will probably use a thread that matches the fabric to stitch it onto the backing too so there is no dark outline. I want the 'engraving' embroidery to stand out more.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have lots of ideas for scrimshaw inspired stitching

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you