Wednesday 20 February 2013

Edward Gorey skeleton embroidery


 As I mentioned in my last post Nicole  and Bridgeen have organised an illustration stitch a long on Flickr based on Edward Goreys work. I have put so many hours into this piece- but I think it was worth it. I'm not sure whether I am 100 per cent happy with the placement on the pillowcase- I didn't want to make it any bigger but there is a lot of space above and below. I am considering adding a sprinkling of tiny skulls above and below but think this might spoil the 'classic' effect of the vines. I might also add some initials to the middle oval.
The way the images are framed is perfect isn't it- I am going to steal the idea for some of my own designs.
Here are a couple more photos for scale and placement:


The design is seriously tiny- I used 1 strand of dark green floss throughout. I love working on this scale but think I need to invest in a magnifying hoop for my eyes sake!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, so detailed. Get that magnifyer, save your eyes! I have been doing one of these too, but its a) no where near as beautiful as yours and b) no where near as finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just amazing Sophie, really beautiful work. Your stitches must be so tiny!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you