Saturday 10 March 2012

swaps

This is a busy embroidery month as I'm doing two swaps. The first is organised by Wild Olive, it's huge there are over 100 people taking part! My head spins when I think of poor Mollie trying to keep tabs on all those swappers. We are swapping one 4 inch hoop, I used a pattern from this book but ignored the stitch guide as it wasn't a filled in design.
The chest on the bird is my first ever attempt at needlelace it was semi-succesful but some of the holes are a bit bigger than others. Overall I'm pleased with the finished piece although it's not really my style. I picked a design and colour palette that I thought my partner would like and it's a bit too pale for me. I wish I'd tea dyed the fabric because I think that would have looked nicer. You live and learn.

As a little extra I made this Wild Olive style badge- too cute!

The other swap is on Craftster and I'm not going to post photos yet as I think my partner might just look at my blog and I don't want to ruin the suprise. I'm really looking forward to sharing what I've made though- I challenged myself a bit and it really paid off. Stu wanted to keep it and has told me I have to make him one.


I used to do a lot of swaps, in fact some of the best things I've made have been for swaps. I like the way it forces you to do something different. it always makes me focus on getting my stitches neat too, when I know someone else is goung to inspect them! The best swaps for me are themed because you end up making things you'd have never made otherwise. A while back I did a Phat Quarter swap (the flickr group from Mr X Stitch) which had a movie theme. I ended up doing this Twin Peaks Firewalk with Me piece which was so much fun to do that it was actually quite hard to part with. 

4 comments:

  1. what an amazing amount of detail for such a tiny hoop! love the way you did the flowers!
    i wanted to participate in the wild olive swap too but already had myself in over my head with craftster swaps! hopefully she'll organize another one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Wild Olive swap birdie is too cute, your swap receipient will love it!!!
    I have that book and like most of the projects in it.
    You guys seem to be having a blast on the WO swap.
    If there were to be a future one I may consider it.
    This time I was (still are) a bit tied up with other stitchy projects.
    Have fun in your swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wild Olive swap is turning out to be fun, there are some great things being posted in the flickr group. I hope there is another one too!
    Thanks for your sweet comments, it's always nice to know people actually look at my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you